RESOURCES FOR CONSUMERS
WHAT IS FORTIFIED?
- FORTIFIED Roof requires multiple layers of defenses to prevent a cascade of damage that can start at the roof and impact the integrity of the entire structure during high winds.
- The building standard focuses on three areas proven to help homes withstand EF-2 tornadoes and Category 3 hurricane winds:
- Stronger connections to hold the roof onto the house
- Reinforced edges to protect one of the roof’s most vulnerable areas
- A sealed roof deck to prevent rain from entering the home, even if shingles are lost
- For homes in hail-prevalent areas, FORTIFIED provides industry-leading guidance on choosing upgraded shingles, tested to resist 2” hail.
- Investing a few hundred extra dollars, when replacing your roof, can save you thousands in damage later. More importantly, it can reduce the possibility of significant damage that
Helpful Hints to Hire a Contractor
Find a Professional Remodeler
Love your home but ready to make some changes? Our directory of professional remodelers will help you find a remodeler in your area. Find One Now>
Find a Credentialed Building Professional
Need a builder or aging-in-place specialist? A green professional? This directory has it all! It includes the names and contact information for all building industry professionals who hold active NAHB educational designations. You'll definitely want a professional with credentials. Find One Here>
Questions to Ask Your Home Builder
How to Choose a Home Builder
Make a list of possible builders, do your homework with a list of questions, shop for quality and value.Read more here>